Slow DHCP resolution

ulater6000

Slow DHCP resolution

Post by ulater6000 » 18 Jul 2012, 19:08

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, so I'd like to start by thanking you for all of your development on this project. I can already tell this is a great program with lots of potential!!!

Anyway, I just installed TFTPD & configured it as my DHCP server and installed ERPXE on that same box. Orinally I could not get any network clients to get DHCP info after disabling DHCP server on my router and enabling the DHCP server on the TFTPD box, but that turned out to be a firewall issue (disabling the firewall on the server fixed this). Clients can now successfully boot ERPXE :D . I need to go back and re-enable the firewall, but to save me troubleshooting time, is there a list of ports I need to open?

Also, the second bigger issue I'm running into is that my network clients are taking 30-60 seconds to contact the DHCP server and resolve their IP info. This seems kind of slow since it used to be almost instant. This is small network with a single consumer grade router (nothing complex or special). Do you have any idea what could be causing clients to take so long to contact the DHCP server part of TFTPD and resolve IP info?

-Thanks

RaveMaker

Re: Slow DHCP resolution

Post by RaveMaker » 22 Jul 2012, 01:07

Hello
First we will make a list of ports and publish it in our Wiki soon.
Just to make your search shorter:

TFTP ports should be open.
NFS,SAMBA and HTTP ports might be needed - it varies with your desired plugins.

As for slow IP resolution there might to be a problem with your TFTPD32.
Try resetting your configuration and try using a different DHCP program.

ulater6000

Re: Slow DHCP resolution

Post by ulater6000 » 23 Jul 2012, 23:49

It turned out I had set TFTPD32 to ping all clients before assigning a DHCP address, so I disabled that option. I also set my router to forward all DHCP requestes to the physical box hosting my TFTPD32 server. ...DHCP assignment is almost instantaneous now!

-Thanks