Using DNSMASQ as tftp server

poofdragon

Using DNSMASQ as tftp server

Postby poofdragon » 11 Dec 2013, 23:12

Hi,

I've been trying to setup a pxe environment and have been running into some issues trying to use grldr vs pxelinux. That's when I came across ERPXE and thought I might give it a try. I just had a concern about the installation / configuration process before I jumped in. As I mentioned, I have a pxe currently running pxelinux.0. This works as expected and relies upon DNSMASQ (under Arch Linux) for all the footwork. I do not use an independent tftp server.

In the installation instructions for ERPXE, there is a section which states:

Config TFTP service
This step is very IMPORTANT! if the erpxe.remap configuration is missing most plugins will not work.

Edit "/etc/xinetd.d/tftp"

service tftp
{
disable = no
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = -m /tftpboot/erpxe.remap -vvvvv -s /tftpboot
per_source = 11
cps = 100 2
flags = IPv4
}

My question is how do I incorporate these "VERY IMPORTANT" settings into an existing DNSMASQ configuration? I've tried searching around and I haven't been able to find any appropriate information on the topic. Are they required for DNSMASQ? I assume that the DNSMASQ daemon does not rely upon the "/etc/xinetd.d/tftp" config file since I have not read anything else about it in relation to setting up DNSMASQ.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
RaveMaker

Re: Using DNSMASQ as tftp server

Postby RaveMaker » 15 Dec 2013, 17:06

There is no difference in the PXE boot process between DHCPd and DNSMASQ.
Both will allow you to boot using pxelinux.0/gpxe/ipxe.

Also both of them rely on your TFTPd settings and this is where you need to insert the remap configuration.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Problems”