Errors on instruction pages

commguy

Errors on instruction pages

Post by commguy » 23 Aug 2013, 08:21

I've noticed a few errors, I know you guys are working on the 2.0 upgrade and trying to maintain the site at the same time. Perhaps it would help a few of us could help rangle some of the wayward add on instructions that have some issues.

I've noted a few and when I have time I'll go thru the site and look for more to help cataloge corrections. Here is what I've found.

Some of these are just capitalization and I know it seems knit picky but some people are going to just cut and paste without putting any real thought into it. I found some that are named wrong and others the version changes the way the ISO is built. I don't have a complete list of all the ones I've come across but I'll update this post when I find more. Hopefully this helps you guys out.

Debian Install

apt-get install nfs - needs to be - apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
chkconfig nfs on - needs to be chkconfig nfs-kernel-server on

chkconfig smb on - needs to be chkconfig samba on

mention somewhere that a user erpxe needs to be created before smbpass -a erpxe can be issued

DBAN

on ERPXE 1.1 there is no menu entry for dban in /tftpboot/er/menu/
cp /mnt/cdrom/DBAN.BZI /tftpboot/er/plugins/dban/dban.bzi - DBAN.BZI in the latest ISO is dban.bzi (lower case)

AVG Rescue

the cp commands are for acronistih and should be changed to reflect - avg - instead

cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/initrd.lzm /tftpboot/er/plugins/acronistih/initrd.lzm
cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/vmlinuz /tftpboot/er/plugins/acronistih/vmlinuz

Puppy linux - capitalization

Lucid, Precice and Slacko each have a cp command listed with a capitalized SFS file. These three at least all use a file that is lowercase, and so far none of the file names have been correct.
Also noticed that all three of these when untar'd produce an output at the end of the process that shows - tar: A lone zero block at 52

XBMC Live

This one was a little tricky since they now have two intel live cds, I copied the main menu entry and added a second folder so there could be an AMD and an NVIDIA option. I'm not sure how much this matters but on my network I have both so it was nice to be able to choose one or the other.

RaveMaker

Re: Errors on instruction pages

Post by RaveMaker » 23 Aug 2013, 14:21

I have updated the WiKi http://erpxe.org according to your requests.

XBMC Live and XBMCbuntu are different products so:
XBMCbuntu plugin was created and will be released with version 1.11 soon, also the DBAN menu entry.

Thank you very much for your support.

commguy

Post by commguy » 31 Aug 2013, 07:07

Thanks for the update, I guess I just jumped the gun on the XBMC portion. XBMCLive isn't available in the same form any more in newer versions. I didn't even think about the versioning. The new Debian update seems to work with RPi as well as debian just fine.

commguy

Post by commguy » 03 Sep 2013, 01:51

Ubuntu Rescue Remix instructions tell you to

cp /mnt/cdrom/casper/vmlinuz /tftpboot/er/plugins/ubuntumini/vmlinuz
cp /mnt/cdrom/casper/initrd.gz /tftpboot/er/plugins/ubuntumini/initrd.gz
cp /mnt/cdrom/casper/filesystem.* /tftpboot/er/shares/ubuntumini/casper/

however the remix plugin points to plugins/ubunturescue and shares/ubunturescue

RaveMaker

Post by RaveMaker » 03 Sep 2013, 20:59

I have updated the WiKi http://erpxe.org/Ubuntu_Rescue_Remix according to your requests.

Thanx Again for your help.

commguy

Post by commguy » 21 Nov 2013, 18:02

Noticed last night the instruction pages for the linux distos need to be updated to reflect /tftpboot/bin/setup for the files that are copied during setup.

I'm hoping someone can verify this but I also noticed the latest Debian package for samba has no smbuseradd command. smbpasswd -a (newuser) is all you need.

Also I keep forgetting to mention this but if you don't create a unix user for erpxe first the above command fails. For the purposes of erpxe you could issue a command like

Code: Select all

useradd --no-create-home -s /dev/null erpxe
This is what I use since erpxe doesn't need a login just a samba user. I'm not saying this is the best way but it works for me.

RaveMaker

Post by RaveMaker » 21 Nov 2013, 19:51

Hi
I've replace smbadduser with your example of useradd command.
I've also updated the changes from doc/ to bin/ in all of the installation manuals,
but there might be a few more places with the mention of the old path.

Also I've seen your instructions for ERPXE on PI installation and when I'll get around to it I will add it to the Wiki.

BTW v2 is coming along nicely and we hope it will be out by the end of the year.

Thanx

commguy

Post by commguy » 22 Nov 2013, 01:24

Awesome sauce.

Glad to help you guys out.

Some of the RPi instruction may need cleaning up, let me know if you have any questions.

Can't wait for v2!